Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Thank you, Fr. Hesburgh!

...That's what I want to say to Fr. Theodore Hesburgh, former president of Notre Dame, who in response to a question from a Wall Street Journal reporter about the sex scandal and the priesthood, said the following:

"The answer is to find a different caliber of training and of selection and of inspiration of young men going into priesthood. And I think, more and more, women have to be involved in this, and I suspect that in the long run, married people are going to be a lot more involved in this whole problem than we have today.

It has to evolve over time. I have no problem with females or married people as priests, but I realize that the majority of the leadership in the Church would. But what's important is that people get the sacraments. You have to remember, there were married priests, even married popes, in the first 1,000 years of the church."
Amen, Amen, and AMEN!

No comments: